It is always a good practice to try a free version of the program before going for its purchase. However, the most common mistake that we always make after installing a trial version is that we do not remove it once we have tested it all. And in case you are one of the users who tries a lot of applications before finalizing one but forget to remove the rest then by the time you have cluttered your Mac with unnecessary files and applications.
This unnecessary cluttering of the Mac with obsolete applications and their data not only consumes the space of the hard drive but also system resources resulting in degradation of the performance of the mac.
But before your mac is completely piled up with unneeded applications and their data files let’s learn how to remove them completely. So without further delay let’s start our detailed guide on how to uninstall apps on a mac. We will first lookout all the possible manual methods to delete the apps and then later will look at how to do the same with a dedicated app uninstaller tool.
How to Uninstall Programs on Mac
The best thing about the Mac is that it has provided its users two simple options of removing the programs. One way of removing an app is through Launchpad, while another way is by using Trash. And in case you find a problem with any of these two options, then you can go for any of the best available mac uninstaller programs from the internet or from the Mac App Store.
Mac has provided us with various ways of deleting apps.
So let’s discuss each one in detail to find out which one suits you the best for deleting apps on mac.
How to Uninstall Apps on a Mac with Launchpad
The very first way that we are going to discuss how to delete apps on mac is through Launchpad. So whether you wish to remove the trial version or the purchased version of the app that you have got from the Mac App Store, this method will work for both.
Below are the steps on how to uninstall an app from mac using Launchpad:
- To get started click on the Launchpad icon. This resembles a Spaceship icon that is located on the dock of your Mac.
- Next, select the app that you wish to remove by clicking on it and keeping on holding it until the app starts shaking.
- Now, click on the X displayed in the top-left corner of the app icon.
- Next on the prompt, click on the Delete button to confirm the action.
That’s it. The application will get uninstalled from your Mac. But in case the app you are trying to remove doesn’t have a delete button, then the above method will not work and you have to use an Uninstaller, which we will discuss later in the article.
How to Uninstall Programs on Mac using Trash
Uninstalling a program by putting it into Trash is one of the oldest and easiest of the methods. Moreover, unlike the above method, you can use this method for removing any app whether you have got it from the Mac App Store or outside of it. Moreover, this version works with the latest as well as previous versions of macOS.
Below are the steps on how to uninstall an app from a mac using Trash:
- On your Mac, open Finder by clicking on its icon on the dock of your Mac.
- Now on the Finder window click on the Applications on the left panel, and select the app that you wish to remove from your mac.
- Next, drag and drop that app to the Trash located on your dock. However, if the app is in a folder, then you have to first open the folder.
Note: If the app comes with an inbuilt uninstaller, then you can click on it to uninstall the app.
An alternate way to remove an app is to right-click on the app icon and from the drop-down menu choose the option “Move to Trash.” And once the app is moved to Trash, don’t forget to empty the Trash.
How to Delete Apps on Mac using an Uninstaller App
Well, the methods that we have discussed above will work for removing most of the unneeded apps from the mac. However, there are some of the installed apps that you can’t remove completely and their leftover data by following the usual methods of uninstallation.
To remove such apps and their leftover data files you either have to go through a manual approach or use a dedicated uninstaller app. Now the problem with the manual approach is that it would be a cumbersome process and you rarely get the desired result.
Therefore to remove all such apps completely along with their leftover files we suggest trying Advanced Uninstall Manager, an app developed by Systweak Software.
This amazing uninstaller app not only helps you in removing all the unneeded programs completely from your mac but also helps you to optimize the startup time of your mac.
Using Advanced Uninstall Manager is also extremely easy, as all you need to do to remove an application is simply drag and drop the application onto Advanced Uninstall Manager. And the program will automatically remove that app along with all its related files.
Let’s check out some main features of Advanced Uninstall Manager:
- User Friendly and easy to navigate user interface.
- Drag and drop an app to remove it as well all its corresponding files from your Mac.
- Option to add an application to the favourite list so to prevent the accidental uninstallation of the app.
- Manages the login items and startup apps to optimize startup time of your mac.
- Availability in more than 12 languages.
- Fully compatible with macOS 10.11 and higher.
- Available at App Store
We hope that the article has helped you in learning several ways on how to uninstall programs on mac. So folks, now it’s the time to use the knowledge you have just acquired from the article and free your mac from all the unneeded applications.